Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Cold Medicine

Let me start off by saying I am in no way affiliated with Hyland's and I am not been paid to brag about their product. Medicine has always affected me in strange ways. If it's supposed to make me sleepy, it makes me hyper and vice versa. I do not like to feel jittery, nor do I like to feel drugged. I once took one nighttime cold tablet and came close to a panic attack. This all being true, I do not like to take medicine. I only take it when I need it and I use it sparingly. I'm a believer in natural remedies, although I am not a pro at it and don't dedicate my life to it. As a family we do take Zyrtec for our allergies because we live in Texas and have Texas-size allergies. I haven't found a natural cure for that yet, but if I do I promise to let you know. If you do, will you let me know? Another mom recently shared what she gives her kids and I'll buy a bottle once Hana runs out of her current bottle of Zyrtec.

Anyhow, being on cold medicine, in my opinion, is one of the worst feelings in the world. Awake, yet drowsy and everything is spinning. As I said, this is MY opinion and MY experience I'm referring to. I have tried many kinds and if you asked my favorite...well, I guess I don't have one. I just try to take vitamins and be healthy so I can avoid catching things but, as we all know, it is inevitable. Miss Hana is getting over a cold. It's barely there anymore, just a lingering cough that comes and goes. Let me back up. A while back Hana became sick. I'm talking about a year or so ago. All of a sudden, we were at Jennifer's house and Hana was burning up, coughing and complaining about a sore throat. Mom and Dad were with us and we stopped at CVS on our way home to see what I could find to make her feel better and help her sleep through the night, as it was getting late. That's the worst part about being sick, isn't it? The nights? Especially when you have a bad cough/sore throat.

I stood in the pharmacy carefully reading every label of every bottle I could find until I found one that pleased me: Hyland's Cold 'n Cough 4 Kids. It's for ages 2 and up, 100% natural, sugar free, is free of stimulant or sleepy side effects and contains no Aspirin, Acetaminophen, Ibuprofen, etc. That last part is also very important to me because I also believe that a fever is good. Not too high, of course, but a fever is the body's way of fighting illness, so I never like to medicate for a fever right away (within reason, of course). A lot of cold medicines have a fever reducer/pain reliever in them and I just don't care for that. With this stuff, I was able to treat her cold symptoms and treat any fever separately. WONDERFUL!

Last week Hana had a (low grade) fever for a day, seemed fine for a day and then had cold symptoms that lasted only a few days, complete with cough, congestion, sneezing and itchy watery eyes. I gave her Hyland's and she's doing great today, except for a little lingering cough. Again, I am not being paid by Hyland's, I just really like this particular product. I have not tried any of their others, but I will as needed. It's also safe for adults to take, so the next time I'm feeling under the weather I just might try some myself! I like it when moms share their tricks of the trade with me, so I felt obligated to share. Hope some of you found this useful! ;-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad Hana is feeling better! Now, how are you?